In the beginning. . .






The year was 2002. I had just moved back to Livingston from Jackson Hole. And Steven, making a move from Chicago to Norfolk, stopped by Livingston to visit his family. And so, for the first time in over 6 years we were both in the same town at the same time. This really would never have been significant if it weren't for our dear, mutual, matchmaking friend, Beth. Beth, using a small fib, declared to Steven over the phone that I had been asking about him. Truthfully, I had not given Steven Marsh a second thought since our highschool days. And even then we weren't really good friends, we just shared good friends. But Beth's comment made Steven remember the cute, quiet Carter girl and out of shear desperation to get out of the house for awhile, he called me. Being the way I am, I of course ignored his call. He then called my Mom,and after sweet talking her for a few minutes, left a message with her for me to call him back. I, of course, did not. Why would this guy, who I hadn't talked to in a million years be calling me. . .I labeled it as strange and random and went on about my life. The next day he caught me on the phone. Five minutes later I had a date planned with Steven Marsh. 8 hours later, I was in love.

We spent everyday together that week and then it came time for him to leave for Virginia. We decided that the timing couldn't have been worse for a relationship, but we were both afraid that if we didn't try we might never find eachother again. And so began our forever long, long distance love life. The first month he was gone, I accrued an eight hundred dollar phone bill. We talked for hours every day. Then he was deployed for six months. We communicated only through email and monthly phone calls from the ship. When he returned from over seas we took turns making the long 22 hour drive between Texas and Virginia. By May of 2004, Steven decided to move to Texas for awhile, join the reserves, and go back to school. By July we were engaged, and in September we were married. Foolish and naive we thought this was our happy ending. Three months later, Steven was deployed with the reserves to the Middle East. He would not return for almost a year.

I like to pretend that year didn't happen. It was difficult and long, but we survived it.

When he returned, he finished school and reenlisted in the Navy. Finally, after three years of bumpy, all over the place marriage we were off to Memphis, Tennessee to start our wonderful life together.

4 comments:

  1. Ah! I LOVE telling this story and it was fun reading your version. Hooray for Beth! You were right about falling in love in just 8 hours. I'd never seen you so enamored. I'm so happy we have our Stevens....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! I still defend that I did not "fib"...
    there was a break down in communication :)... oh something. At least it turned out good in the end!
    I love the blog! You're great at capturing your thoughts in word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. anonymous above is of course me, Beth. I just don't have the a profile on here, so it would not let me post my name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, for one, am SO-O-O glad for
    Mrs. Anonymous' "supposed" fib...whatever it took. You are a wonderful wife for Steven and we are blessed to have you as a daughter-in-law. Love ya'

    ReplyDelete

I have arrived!

Okay, okay. . .so I’ve finally given in to all the blogging peer pressure. Feel free to laugh and poke your fingers at me. Because, trust me, I’m just as shocked as you are. I never thought that I’d be doing this, but after months of tracking other people’s blogs I’ve started to convince myself that there might be a handful of people out there that would actually be interested in my life.

I’m new to all this. . .so I’m not sure exactly where to begin. However, since this blog will be mostly about mine and Steven’s life together, the logical place to start would be the day we met . . .or re-met I guess I should say. Enjoy!